Adopting your stepchild can be one of the most amazing things you do in your life. There are many benefits, such as being able to prove that you’re not going to leave them and being able to take on parental responsibilities permanently.
If you’re raising a stepchild while the other biological parent is no longer present in their lives, a stepchild adoption may be a good option for you. Before you do, make sure you speak with your spouse and make sure they’re comfortable with that. If they are, then you may want to ask your stepchild if they’d be okay with you becoming their parent permanently through adoption. Depending on your stepchild’s age, they may need to consent to the adoption in front of a judge.
Why choose a stepparent adoption?
There are several reasons to go through with a stepparent adoption. Some include that you will
- Get permanent parental rights as if you were the biological parent.
- Retain custody if your spouse passes away suddenly
- Be able to give your stepchildren the same inheritance and legal rights as your biological children
- Be able to consent to medical care in emergencies
- Be showing your stepchild that you intend to remain a family permanently
Adopting a stepchild can be a big step, but it may be the right one to take depending on your situation. If you’re interested in adopting your stepchild, you may want to speak with your spouse and your stepchild about their thoughts. If you agree to move forward, you can speak with your attorney about the next steps to take to adopt your stepchild legally.