Adoption is a wonderful process that creates new families and saves lives. However, there are plenty of factors to consider before adopting a child.
If you want to adopt a child into your family, read this article for a few guidelines. There is a child out there who deserves your love and care. Do not let a few technicalities get in the way.
What are the types of adoptions?
There are different adoption plans you might consider.
- Adoption from an agency is always a valid option
- If you are single, you will not face discrimination for eligibility. Adopting alone does require specific considerations but is not inherently a deterrent.
- Sometimes when you foster a child, it becomes apparent they are a permanent part of the family. Speak with an attorney about making the process official.
- You may wish to officially adopt your partner’s children, especially if the other parent is not in the picture
- In Georgia, LGBTQ couples can adopt their partners biological or adopted children
What does it cost?
If you choose to adopt from another country, this typically costs more than foster care adoption. Adopt US Kids says that costs range from $5,000 to $40,000. However, some agencies offer a sliding scale based on income.
Adopting from another state faces regulation from the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children. You need to follow their guidelines, Georgia law, and the laws of the sending state.
Choosing to adopt is daunting to many prospective parents. However, if you consult with an attorney, the process is far from impossible. Start your adoption plan today and make a difference in the world.